NORTH CAROLINA ROOTS
A native of Raeford, North Carolina, Harry Southerland was the product of a hard working and devoted single mother, the late Ms. Elvenia Southerland. Harry's mother, Elvenia Southerland raised Harry and his older sister Angela as a single parent. She sacrificed 33 years of her life working at the House of Raeford, a local turkey factory in the community so her children would have a better and brighter life. Ms. Southerland taught Harry and Angela the values of hard work and working together.
As a direct result of Ms. Southerland’s love, dedication, and commitment to her family, Harry graduated from Hoke County High School with Honors in June 1985. It was in high school, Southerland’s teachers observed Southerland ability to negotiate compromise, and settle high school student matters with great success. Southerland also first realized that he was gifted with strong leadership skills among his peers. He was voted Class President his Sophomore, Junior, and Seniors years. Harry Southerland was accepted at North Carolina University in Raleigh, NC. During his tenure at North Carolina State University he was involved in Student Government and his joined Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. where he became President of his local chapter. He was also chosen as one of the top 25 minority student leaders in 1988 selected to travel abroad to West Africa to start a study abroad program.
He graduated from North Carolina State University with two degrees. In December 1989, Southerland earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business Management. Then, in May 1990, Southerland earned a Bachelor of Arts in Economics.
After taking off year to help his mother back in Raeford, NC, Southerland was accepted into North Carolina Central University School of Law. Again while at NCCU School of Law Southerland stepped into a leadership and was voted Second Year and Third Year Class President. Southerland graduated from North Carolina Central University School of with a Juris Doctorate in May 1994.
PRACTICE OF LAW
Later that same year, he was admitted to practice law in North Carolina and United States District Court. Southerland practiced law for 10 years and concentrated his law practice in the areas of business, criminal, personal injury, sports and entertainment law.
'After retiring his law practice in 2004, Southerland founded the Southerland Group, Inc., which was a Sports and Entertainment Management and Consultant Agency. Southerland represented many clients ranging from professional athletes to entertainers.
FAITH AND FAMILY
Southerland is married to Juliet Southerland and he is the proud father of five girls. Southerland is a devoted member of Rockfish Grove Freewill Baptist Church. He currently serves as Trustee.
CALL TO SERVE
In 2000, Harry Southerland was elected to Hoke County Board of Education.
SECOND CALL TO SERVE
Southerland was elected in 2014 as a Hoke County Commissioner. During his first term, the Commission had great success to include:
having a fund balance over 40% when only an 8% fund balance is required;
expanded the Meals on Wheels programs so that more seniors would receive a well balanced meal;
expanded the urgent home repair programs so that more seniors could get the homes repaired at no cost;
provided the funding so that every child would be equipped with an iPad
brought our communities together
As a result of a successful first term, the citizens of Hoke County re-elected me for a second as Hoke County Commissioner. He is now serving his 2nd four year term and is currently serving as Vice Chairman. Southerland credits his success to his mother and often thanks God for a second chance.
ENDORSEMENTS FOR UNITED STATES CONGRESSIONAL CANDIDATE
1. FORMER NBA BASKETBALL STAR, CHRIS WILCOX, BOSTON CELTICS
2. SHERYL UNDERWOOD, COMEDIAN AND CO-HOST OF THE CBS SHOW, ‘THE TALK’
3. DR. SANDHYA THOMAS-MONTILUS, MD, PAST PRESIDENT OF THE OLD NORTH STATE MEDICAL SOCIAETY
4. APOSTLE J. VENTURNIO PORTER
5. REV. BRUCE C. HURST, PASTOR OF LEACH SPRINGS MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
6. ROSS STREATER, ANSON COUNTY COMMISSIONER
7. JAMES LEACH, HOKE COUNTY COMMISSIONER
8. ALLEN THOMAS, HOKE COUNTY COMMISSIONER AND LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR CANDIDATE
9. TONY HUNT, HOKE COUNTY COMMISSIONER
10. BOBBY WRIGHT, HOKE COUNTY COMMISSIONER
11. LEONARD BALDWIN, SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATIONIST
12. HOKE COUNTY SHERIFF HUBERT PETERKIN
13. BARBARA BUIE, HOKE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION MEMBER
14. IRIS PICKET, HOKE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION MEMBER
15. ROSA MCALLISTER-MCRAE, HOKE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION MEMBER
16. CHARLES EVANS, CUMBERLAND COUNTY COMMISSIONER
17. GEORGE COGDELL, BLADEN COUNTY COMMISSIONER
18. EVELYN MCLEOD, CLERK OF COURT
19. ATTORNEY GREGORY B. THOMPSON
20. CAMILLE HURST, REGISTER OF DEEDS
21. SHANNON CAMPBELL EDUCATOR AND FORMER PRINCIPAL
22. DR. MARK THOMPSON, DSS